Ministry of Tourism recently released monthly estimates of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) on the basis of Nationality-wise, Port-wise data received from Bureau of Immigration (BOI) and Foreign Exchange Earnings (FEEs) from tourism on the basis of data available from Reserve Bank of India. The following are the important highlights regarding FTAs and FEEs from tourism during the month of March 2015.
Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs):
- FTAs during the Month of March 2015 were 7.30 lakh as compared to FTAs of 6.93 lakh during the month of March 2014 and 6.40 lakh in March 2013. There has been a growth of 5.3% in March 2015 over March 2014.
- FTAs during the period January- March 2015 were 22.81 lakh with a growth of 3.2%, as compared to the FTAs of 22.10 lakh with a growth of 7.9% in January- March 2014 over January- March 2013.
- The Percentage share of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in India during March 2015 among the top 15 source countries was highest from UK (12.52%) followed by USA (12.35%), Bangladesh (12.28%), Sri Lanka (4.40%), Germany (4.28%), Canada (3.39%), Malaysia (3.26%), France (3.24%), Japan (2.71%), Australia (2.67%), Thailand (2.67%), China (2.55%), Russian Fed. (2.31%), Singapore (1.70%) and Afghanistan (1.58%). These top 15 countries accounts for 71.91% of total FTAs during March 2015.
- The Percentage share of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in India during March 2015 among the top 15 ports was highest at Delhi Airport (32.4%) followed by Mumbai Airport (16.7%), Chennai Airport (7.8%), Haridaspur Land check post (6.7%), Bengaluru Airport (5.6%), Cochin Airport (4.0%), Kolkata Airport (3.8%),Goa Airport (3.3%), Sonauli Land Check post (3.2%),Hyderabad Airport (2.6%), Amritsar Airport (1.7%), Trivandrum Airport (1.5%),Ahmedabad Airport (1.4%), Gede Rail (1.4%) and Tiruchirapalli Airport (1.2%). These top 15 ports accounts for 93.3% of total FTAs during March 2015.
Foreign Exchange Earnings (FEEs) from Tourism in India in rupee terms and in US$ terms
- FEEs during the month of March 2015 were Rs.10,451 crore as compared to Rs.10,152 crore in March 2014 and Rs. 9,545 crore in March 2013.
- The growth rate in FEEs in rupee terms during March 2015 over March 2014 was 2.9%.
- FEEs from tourism in rupee terms in January- March 2015 were Rs. 33,036 crore with a growth of 1.7% as compared to the FEE of Rs. 32,473 during January- March 2014.